Financial Aid and the FAFSA
It’s that time of the year … its’ the Financial Aid Season! As the 2019 year is approaching Wolf College Consulting wanted to give you information to prepare you for the next step in the Application Process – Applying for Financial Aid. Below you will find some important information:
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) – http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Every student that desires to receive financial aid from the federal government, state government or institution, must fill out the FAFSA (Note some institutions require additional financial aid forms, like the CSS Profile. Make sure you contact the financial aid offices of your institutions to find out what forms are needed)
- You cannot start filling out the FAFSA for the 2019-2020 year until October 1, 2018
- It is recommended that you fill out the FAFSA by October 31, 2018 (as some institutions give priority to students that fill out the FAFSA by that date)
- To prepare for the FAFSA, you can use this 2019-2020 FAFSA worksheet
- The FAFSA will be based on 2017 income, but current assets. Forms you will need to fill out the FAFSA – 2017 W2 Forms, Bank Statements, Tax Forms (including IRS Form 1040, and additional tax forms may be needed). Note if you have not completed your 2017 taxes, you can estimate them by using last year’s forms. Later you can update your FAFSA when you receive your official documents.
CAL GRANT –
- Some of you may be eligible for the Cal Grant. Only 2 documents are needed for it – GPA Verification form (filled out by the high school guidance office) and the FAFSA. Note – Parents make sure your child has requested the guidance office at their high school to fill out a GPA Verification Form
- YOU MUST FILL OUT THE FAFSA BY MARCH 2, 2019 TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAL GRANT
The Financial Aid process and be stressful and confusing. Wolf College Consulting would enjoy the opportunity to help make it less stressful. Let us know how we can help you!